Cancellation of Spirit Airways flights for Pittsburgh vacationers continues Thursday – WPXI

PITTSBURGH – Spirit Airlines said flight cancellations would begin Thursday, but this stopped happening at Pittsburgh International Airport on Thursday morning.

In the past few days, travelers have been stranded and stranded at airports across the United States – including Pittsburgh International and Latrobe’s Arnold Palmer Regional Airports.

On Thursday at 6 a.m. every Spirit flight in and out of PIT was canceled. Travelers should still check their bookings to see their flight status.

Channel 11’s Mike Holden is following another day of frustrations for travelers and what to do when you have a flight – LIVE on Channel 11 Morning News, on TV, and on our streaming apps.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WPXI apps for alerts as news breaks]

It was similar on Wednesday. Several flights to and from Arnold Palmer and Pittsburgh International airports were again canceled on Wednesday.

Some flights departing or arriving at Pittsburgh International Airport on Tuesday have also been canceled. And on Monday, only four of the 17 scheduled flights to and from Pittsburgh took off.

The airline canceled four departures at Arnold Palmer Airport on Tuesday. The airline also canceled flights there on Monday.

Channel 11 reached out to Spirit Airlines and received the following statement:

“The last three days have been extremely difficult for our guests and team members, for which we would like to sincerely apologize. We continue to work around the clock to get our guests where they need to be.

We have dealt with overlapping operational challenges such as weather, system outages and staff shortages that created widespread anomalies in our operations and impacted workforce planning. These problems were exacerbated by the fact that we find ourselves in the peak summer travel season with very high occupancy factors in the industry and more limited options for rebooking guests.

After going through yesterday’s proactive cancellations, we’ve implemented a more thorough network restart which will allow us to reassign our crews more efficiently and restore the network faster. As a result, the number of cancellations will gradually decrease in the coming days.

By taking a close look at the challenges we face, we have identified opportunities for improvement that will help us operate a more resilient network and better serve our guests. “

Spirit Airlines told Channel 11 that cancellations should drop on Thursday and an issue with the crew scheduling IT system is adding to their operational challenges.

Travelers are also advised to check notifications and their flight status before entering the airport.

The Association of Flight Attendants-CWA said in a statement:

“Spirit Management has begun treating these Irregular Operations (IROP) as hurricane recovery and strategically canceling flights around the system with the option of a system reset.

“A call between AFA, ALPA, Spirit CEO Ted Christie and COO John Bendoritis is planned for this afternoon. AFA makes a number of recommendations to the airline to keep everyone safe and secure, and to restore operations. We will continue to work with the airline on this and support the flight attendants. “

Amanda Watson and her father Jim were scheduled to fly from Pittsburgh to Myrtle Beach on Monday morning. When they arrived at the airport, they saw that the flight was canceled.

“We saw that there was this huge line for Spirit … over 200 people, crazy,” she said.

They waited in line for about two hours before a Spirit representative booked them for a later flight from Latrobe. This flight was further delayed on the way east.

“I just wish we had an explanation,” said Watson.

Others told Channel 11 that their Spirit flights were canceled over the weekend.

Gabbie Fisher and Stephanie Edwards had already made it through security when they learned their flight was canceled on Sunday.

“They offered to reschedule it for tonight, but it was all full and it was canceled too,” Edwards said.

They stayed in a nearby hotel room at their own expense and returned to the airport on a new flight on Monday.

“It’s already been delayed by two and a half hours and will likely be canceled again,” Fisher said.

Comments are closed.