Murrysville Area: Holocaust audio system, Dixieland picnic, conservation occasions and extra
Email event listings and news briefs to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holocaust Education Speaker at Boomers and Beyond
James Paharik, professor of sociology and director of the National Catholic Center for Holocaust Education at Seton Hill University, will present “The Holocaust and Catholic Social Teaching” at the next Boomers and Beyond speakers’ session on September 13 in Murrysville.
Paharik teaches courses on the Holocaust and genocide in the modern world. His current research focus is on the increase in disinformation in the media.
The presentation will be at 12:00 p.m. at the Mother of Sorrows Social Hall, 4202 Old William Penn Highway in Murrysville. Doors open at 11:30am and attendees may bring a packed lunch. Drinks will be provided.
Symphony East hosts Dixieland picnic
Symphony East will host a Dixieland Picnic Box Lunch in Murrysville on September 19 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
The 1:00 p.m. performance is accompanied by the Ralph Guzzi Dixieland Band and takes place in the Picnic Pavilion at St. Alban’s Anglican Church, 4920 Cline Hollow Road, Murrysville.
The cost is $30 per person and includes a picnic lunch at 11:30am. Reservations are required by September 12 – no tickets will be sold on the day of the event. For reservations see SymphonyEast.org or call 724-327-4864.
Upcoming Westmoreland Conservancy events
Westmoreland Conservancy hosts the following adult fall programs:
• September 10: Salamander Search at King/Potter Reservations, 9:00 am at the reservation property on Crowfoot Road in Murrysville.
• Sept. 22: Autumn Equinox Walk, 6:30 pm on the Morosini Universal Footpath, Morosini Farm Court in Murrysville.
• September 28: Monthly meeting, 7 pm at Murrysville Community Library, 4130 Sardis Road.
• Oct 8: Witch Hazel Walk, 10:00 am at the preserve on Hunter Drive in Murrysville.
All events are free. To register, see WestmorelandConservancy.org/event-registration.
Visionary committee to host a cyclocross race
The Delmont Visionary Committee is hosting a cyclocross race at Shields Farm on October 15th.
The Delmont CX takes place at 9am and features a challenging course that cycles through the wooded trails, grass runs, steep hills and obstacles at Shields Farm. Racers of all ages and abilities can take part.
There will be prizes, food and beer. The entry fee is $45 in the male and female categories and $25 in the junior category. Proceeds benefit the committee whose goal is to make the district more bike-friendly and create a branch of the future Westmoreland Heritage Trail into downtown Delmont.
Participation and watching the race is free.
Register online at Bikereg.com/56777.
Fall programs at the Murrysville Library
Murrysville Community Library hosts the following fall adult programs:
• Sept. 7: First-Time Homebuyer Seminar, noon
• Sept 12: Build your balance house, 2:00 pm with Samantha Shields of Alliance Physical Therapy, discussion of how to identify if you are at risk of falling and how to reduce that risk as you age. This program will be virtual.
• 12th-13th September: “Charting Your Future,” 6:30 p.m. with Sam Abraham and Vanda Raszewski hosting a two-part series on helping seniors cope with financial, health, legal and estate challenges.
• September 19: “Railroads in Civil War Strategy,” 6:00 pm with host and Civil War reenactor Kenneth Serfass portraying General and former President Ulysses S. Grant.
• Oct 1: CASA briefing, 10:00 am with a presentation on the State Court Appointed Special Advocates Program. Participants can learn how to help children in need through volunteering.
• 18 Oct: Dementia Awareness Raising, 6:30 pm with host Doreen Putnam, author of ‘Sometimes Grandma Doesn’t Know Me!’ who will help attendees learn more about dementia and its early warning signs.
All programs take place at the Library, 4130 Sardis Road in Murrysville, unless otherwise noted. Visit MurrysvilleLibrary.org for more information or to register online.
garage sale at Union Presbyterians
The Union Presbyterian Church will be hosting a fall junk sale September 9-10 at the church, 656 Route 380 in Washington Township.
The sale will take place on September 9th from 9am to 6pm and on September 10th from 9am to 1pm. Items other than jewelry, furniture and antiques are not valued and are available for a donation of the customer’s choice.
There will be groceries for sale.
Golf outing benefiting Toys for Pittsburgh Tikes
The Greater Pittsburgh Business Connection is hosting a golf outing on September 26th to benefit Toys for Pittsburgh Tikes.
It takes place at the Westmoreland Country Club, 7100 Mellon Road in Penn Township. Registration begins at 7:30am with a shotgun start at 9:00am.
Tickets are $150 per person, with sponsorship, foursome and dinner-only tickets also available. Dinner is at 4:15 p.m. To purchase tickets or for more information, visit GreaterPittsburghBusinessConnection.com.
Fall Tales in the Murrysville Library
Murrysville Community Library is hosting its annual Fall Storytelling Lessons for babies, toddlers and preschoolers for six weeks starting September 13th.
Babies-n-Books for children aged 12 to 24 months takes place on Tuesdays from September 13th to October 18th at 10am. The sessions last 30 minutes.
“Toddler Time” for children aged 2-3 takes place on Wednesdays from September 14th to October 19th at 10am. The sessions last 45 minutes.
“Preschool Stories” for children aged 3 to 6 takes place on Fridays from September 16th to October 21st at 10 am. The sessions last 45 minutes.
All programs are free, but registration is required by visiting MurrysvilleLibrary.org.
Upcoming Public Sessions
• Export Council, September 6, 6:30 pm at the Borough Building, 5821 Washington Ave. An agenda is available at ExportPennsylvania.com.
• Murrysville Council, September 7, 7:00 pm at the Parish Hall, 4100 Sardis Road. Sessions will be broadcast live on Comcast Local Access Channel 19 and will be streamed live on Murrysville.com where an agenda is available.
• Delmont Borough Council, 7:00 pm, September 13 at the Parish Hall, 77 Greensburg St. Agenda available at DelmontBoro.com.
• Franklin Regional School Board Committee of the Whole/Voting Meeting, 7:30 pm, September 19 at the Murrysville Community Building. Sessions will be broadcast live on Comcast Local Access Channel 19 and live streamed on Murrysville.com.
Patrick Varine is a contributor to Tribune-Review. You can contact Patrick via email at email@example.com or via Twitter.
Comments are closed.