The Daily Record published an interesting story in 1983 that focused on the history of street names in Wooster. Here is an excerpt:
Larwill Street – The brothers John, William and Joseph Larwill measure Wooster in 1808 together with John Bever and William Henry. The men have laid claim to land that is now the heart of downtown Wooster. Incidentally, John Larwill was also responsible for bringing the railroad to Wooster.
Beverstrasse – John Bever was the US surveyor tasked with dividing up the territory.
Henrystrasse – William Henry represented Wayne and Stark Counties in the Ohio Legislature and was assistant judge.
Beall Avenue – General Reasin Beall, 1769-1843, served two sessions in the United States Congress. His home is now the seat of the Wayne County Historical Society.
Stibbs Street – Joseph Stibbs built the first grist mill in the Wooster area in 1809. He married a daughter of General Reasin Beall.
Grant Street – A cook named Jonathan Grant was included in the survey team led by Joseph Larwill.
Spink Street – General Cyrus Spink, 1783-1859, married another daughter of General Reasin Beall. He served in the Ohio House of Representatives.
Quinby Avenue – Samuel Quinby was the district treasurer from 1822 to 1838. His brother, Ephraim Quinby Jr., was the city’s first real estate developer and helped found the Quinby Opera House.
Sloane Court – Col. John Sloane was Secretary of State of Ohio from 1841 to 1844 and later Treasurer of the United States.
Gasche Street – Charles Gasche served as city administrator in the mid-19th century and was hospital ward manager for eight years.
Bowman Street – Jacob Bowman was City Assessor from 1871-72 and Sheriff from 1872-76.
Massaro avenue – Andrew Massaro was a real estate developer in Wooster’s Italian community. In 1905 he built the Massaro Building on the corner of Liberty and Buckeye Street.
Palmerstrasse Jacob Palmer ran a brick factory and owned most of the property on the street that now bears his name.
Another history of local thoroughfares was found in a 1985 booklet entitled “The Streets of Wooster” by Richard Peter.
Christmas run boulevard – John Christmas came to Wooster in 1818. His son Charles became a surveyor and drew a map of Wooster known as the “Christmas Card”. On the basis of the map, the family name was given to the stream and the nearby park and street.
Derr Avenue – The veterinarian William F. Derr came to Wooster in 1879. Because of his reputation, he was frequently called to Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Fort Wayne and other remote areas; and animals were even sent here from Louisville, Ky.
Fisher drive – George Fisher trained as a stonemason and marble cutter and started his own business in Wooster in 1889. He was later a local councilor, then mayor of Wooster, as did his son Ralph E. Fisher, who also sat there for 22 years in the state house of representatives.
Reed Road – Rev. James Armstrong Reed of the Ohio Presbyterian Church founded Wooster University in 1866.
Vanover Street – Francis M. Vanover served as Fourth Parish Council in Wooster and was elected to the State Senate in 1905, which served until 1909.
For your information
Wooster was 76 years old when the first Freedlander store opened its doors.
Thought you should know
Columnist Ann Gasbarre can be reached at email@example.com or 330-345-6419.
Comments are closed.